Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Macro to join Workgroup file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucybelle

MIS
Apr 9, 2001
US
I have several databases that I'm having problems with staying joined to my workgroup file. For some reason, when the db is closed and reopened, it creates another file System1, and is joined to that. Each time the db is opened it creates another file, System2, System3, etc.
I would like to add an action in my autoexec macro to join the workgroup when the database is opened. I'm thinking I need to use the action, Runcode, but I'm lost after that. Could someone help me join a workgroup file named Workgrp.mdw to a database named database.mbd in a macro. I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

lucybelle,
You can do this my using an API call to edit the registry when the database is opened.

The drawback to this method (outside of having to use an API call) is that the database has to be closed and reopened for the change to take affect.

I saw you post in the [navy]Microsoft: Access Modules (VBA Coding) Forum[/navy] and I think this is a bandaid to a bigger problem. It sounds like the root cause may be a network latency issue if the security file resides on a network resource.

CMP

(GMT-07:00) Mountain Time (US & Canada)

I didn't have any problem with Access 97. There must be some way that I can join a workgroup in Access 2003 without the risk of it switching back to the default system.mdw. I've already tried importing objects into a new database joined to my workgroup file and that does even work without the shortcut with the command line. If anyone has suggestions, please help. I have to secure these 15+ databases as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back