Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MACRO SETTINGS - VBA PROJECT OBJECT MODEL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

44MARCO

Instructor
Apr 9, 2024
ZA
Hi

I need advise on whether I should that the "TRUST ACCESS TO THE VBA PROJECT OBJECT MODEL" is always / mostly unchecked. I have just read a Blog in which they state the following:
Trust access to the VBA project object model - this setting controls programmatic access to the object model of Visual Basic for Applications. It's disabled by default to prevent unauthorized programs from changing your macros or building self-replicating harmful codes.

I had purchased in Addin some time back which gave a notification that I should check this Box to enable the Addin to work. PLEASE Advise. Thanks in advance.

As stated in the warning: trusted access to VBA project allows programmatic coding in office documents. Next the code can be started by document events, incl. opening the document, custom menu item or control (as button) in document. This means that malicious code can be distributed and executed without user control. With the power of VBA a lot can be done.

Said that, MS did a lot to control code execution. File formats without VBA project, security levels, digital signature and trusted locations limit possibility to run unwanted code.

If, as in your case, a trusted access to the VBA project is required, esp. if it is likely that the addin code is password protected and it is not possible to verify the code, in my opinion:
- I need to trust the developer,
- I need to know WHY the access is required, the only reasons seem to be: (1) generate documents with code as a part of their functionality, (2) verifying code in other files, pointed by the user.

BTW, there is a VBA dedicated forum707.

combo

VB classic is not VBA. You will be better off asking in forum707

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back