Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Macro security and trusting a workbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshbird

IS-IT--Management
Jul 14, 2000
DE
So, with much help from here, I've finally finished by dynamic reporting tool in Excel. And its been well received!

However, the security settings on user PC's will not allow the macro to run, and they don't have rights to change the security settings (and IT really don't want to change that).

Our IT guy here added a digital certificate (as the self-cert I'd added wouldn't allow them to trust me as a publisher) and now they just see a message asking them to insert a smart-card....

Any suggestions would be hugely gratefully received, as at the moment my first project at this new job can't actually work.

(Should have discussed with our IT guys first!)

Fee

"The cure for anything is salt water – sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen

Could this have anything to do with having used a password to protect my code from view?

Surely not....

Fee

If the user's pc's are locked down, not much you can do.

It is absoutely rediculous to do that with a tool like Excel. You loose half its functionality.

Check out Add-Ins.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Would a certificate allow them to trust it?

The users we're talking about need to have a way that we can set up this book as 'trusted to run macro's' really - and I think that means having a real certificate so they can then trust the publisher.

Opinions?

Fee

There are no trusted workbooks. There are trusted publishers. As Skip suggests, consider packing your project into add-in. Quick test indicates that the standard directory where excel tries to save workbook as an add-in is a "trusted place". There are no problems with non-signed macros even in highest security level set (excel 2003).

combo

Ops, the add-ins policy is set by trusting all add-ins and templates.

combo

My ICT director has just pointed out that I just need to set a folder on the users machine a s tursted location, and that will be fine!

Seems like a very easy fix to me.

Going to go and test on someone elses machine any minute now.

Fee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back