Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Macro or VB to convert codes to MsgBox string

Status
Not open for further replies.

jregier

Technical User
Jan 14, 2002
CA
I have a table or query with a field called "LOG". This is a memo field containing a string of two letter codes. ie "001012110 002351024 0026 1020" describing at 11 character intervals the list of materials logged at various depths. The log string length is variable and several approach 640 string length. I have a table of codes and material values ie 10 corresponding to SAND and 20 to GRVL etc. I tried using dlookup in a query on the LOG string, but found it far too slow and returned multiple rows of the same conversion for each indivigual record. What I would like to do is design a macro or VB that returns a message box with the converted "LOG" codes to material values, in lengths of 40 characters per line. I know what I need to do is create one long string of translated code, then parse it line by line. Any help is appreciated - I am faily new to access macros and VB.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back