Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Macro lost. Any way to find it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nqueen

MIS
Sep 21, 2005
CA
Hi,
I was working on a macro in Excel yesterday and I lost the macro. I know that I saved my macro but I had few excel files open and I did not save some of them. I think that what happened is that I might have closed(without saving) the excel file containing my macro without noticing it. Is there a way to find my macro anyways? ( I mean isn t stored somewhere?) I tried to do a search on my drives but it seems that it doesn t find it( I tried even to do a search on an existing macro but it s not detecting it).Is there any chance for me to restore my macro?

Thanks in advance!

What Workbook was your macro in?

Did that Workbook loos ALL its macros?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be Advised![/red] The only distinction between a bird with one wing and a bird with two, is merely...
a difference of A Pinion! [tongue][/sub]

Basically, I had a workbook ("main") opened which was supposed to contain all of my macros. I apply my macros on other workbooks. I was doing a test so, few workbooks were open (some already existed others new).
I thought I saved my macro in my main workbook but I couldn t find it.
I also noticed that specifically for that macro, it got saved and it was not shown in the listing of my macros (it was saved as personal macro ( I had to unhide perso.xls) before being able to see it.

Basically, I think that I saved that macro in a new workbook that was not saved.

I need to understand if I save a macro but not the workbook, is my macro lost? and where do macros get stored when saved in the computer? (so that I can check if it s there somewhere?)

I know that my thread is not really clear. I am confused myself about what happened exactly.

Macros are in WORKBOOKS.

When you record a macro, it give you the opportunity to select WHERE you want the macro stored.

So if the macro was stored in a workbook that you did not save, it is lost forever.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be Advised![/red] The only distinction between a bird with one wing and a bird with two, is merely...
a difference of A Pinion! [tongue][/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back