Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MacPerl

Status
Not open for further replies.

perlcoder

Programmer
Jul 1, 2001
US
I am running a Mac server using Webstar 4.4 on OS 9.1. It has its own mail server (SMTP/POP/IMAP/LDAP) and a built in FTP server as well. I was looking for a CGI script that would take form input and email a copy of the output to the submitter as well as a predefined email address and also create a log file containing the output of the form that is updated incrementally each time the form is filled out and for that file to be in comma delimited format for easy entry into a database. After much searching, I finally found the perfect (almost) solution, and it's free! It is a script from bignosebird.com called bnbform.cgi written in Perl. The problem is, the script was written for use on a Unix server and it only partially works on a Mac. By that I mean that it will create the log file correctly but none of the email functions work. (I am not very familiar with Perl/MacPerl or even CGI for that matter--basic knowledge only.) After examining the script, I saw that it was calling the SENDMAIL instruction for the Unix server, which of course, my Mac server doesn't have. BUT, there is an option in the script that will allow me to assign any SMTP server instead of using the SENDMAIL function. So I did. The problem is, it still won't work. Any ideas?

I can send you a copy of the script if you need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.