Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MacOs 7.5 Internet Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinho

Technical User
Feb 16, 2001
IT
Does anyone know how to setup correctly Network, modem, Ip addresses etc.. in a macOs 7.5; I have just tried but i am not sure of what i am doing.

I didn't find a Control Panel; but i browsed the disk directory 'system' and i worked on single configuration file, like MAC PPP, TCP Setup, etc etc.

Is it correct?

How can i upgrade to 7.5.5 MacOs? Is it Free?

Bye,
Dinho

Your ISP should typically supplies information on your internet settings. As far as networking, there are many ways to wire/configure a network. It also depends on what you intend to attach to. O/S upgrades are not free, however, Apple is only selling V9 at the moment, and the older versions have been discontinued. I do not advise installing V9 on an older machine. Try contacting your local dealer. They should be willing to upgrade your O/S to an appropriate newer version and help with networking.

Are you in the area near New York City? If so, you can have my OS 7.6 CD. I got it from someone and never use it. I use OS 9.0.4 on my PowerBook right.

Mac OS 7.5.3 is available on Apple's web site. Just search the Support area. They have it for download, along with various updaters, like from 7.5.3 to 7.5.5 and 7.5.5 to 7.6.1 and so on.

You should upgrade to 7.5.5, it is a free download. It will give you all the control panels you need. You will need to select your modem and port in the modem control panel, set your username, password, and ISP phone number in the PPP control panel, and select PPP and PPP Server in the tcp/ip control panel, as well as DNS server information. Also, there will be a little app called network config. Set it to open transport instead of classic appletalk. You may need to discuss the settings with your ISP.
Best of luck,
PT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back