Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Macola Field Level Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgillz

Instructor
Mar 2, 2001
US
How do you keep a technical user from accessing certain fields within the Macola database? When using a P.SQL/Btrieve database, in my example we have a price override password stored in the OECTLFIL and have put up Macola security so that only 2 people have access to maintain that part of the application.

However, if you have access to Crystal Reports (as many users do) and you can connect to the database either thru ODBC or a native connection via file.ddf, the entire database is open to you! You can write a crystal report in 2 minutes that will tell you the price override password, even if you do not have access to the OE Setup file from within Macola!

In fact if you know where to look you can even write a crystal report to tell you the Macola password of all the users including the System Adminstrator!!!!

Although I've never tried it, I'm sure you could read these sames files and fields with any ODBC connection via Access, R&R Reports, etc.

In short, this all or nothing access does not work well and I need to restrict people from reading the records at the field level. Software Support for Sage Mas90, Macola, Crystal Reports, Goldmine and MS Office

We had a similar problem using the P.sql version on macola. Because you cannot set permision with the Database, you only could give full access or not at all.
We upgraded to MS-SQL 2000 and you can control uses to use just the application, just odbc, just the tables you want.
Anything you can imagine.
i know this is a big change but it worth it.

hopes this help
lovalles
Macola System Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back