Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Macola all of a sudden VERY slow....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifrydr

Technical User
Oct 13, 2005
US
This is a strange one... We have a user that is experiencing some difficulties using Macola and a vpn connection to an external company that we access customer information through. Macola is a local application at our site and runs fine on every other machine. This has worked flawlessly on this machine for the past 9+ months now all of a sudden the two do not want to work together. There were no s/w updates to either Macola or the vpn client on that machine. Although, when Macola appeared slow I reinstalled, rebooted and it worked fine until they started using the vpn again....

Ideas?

Thank you.

Passing large amounts of SQL data over a vpn is slow. Macola is not supported this way. I would suspect some other traffic utilizing the same bandwidth as the vpn is trying to use. Why not use a Terminal Server on the other side instead of a vpn?

Andy Baldwin

"Testing is the most overlooked programming language on the books!"

Ask a great question, get a great answer. Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.
Find out how to get great answers FAQ219-2884.

I probably did not make this clear enough....

The Macola/sql data is internal to our site, the vpn is used to access OTHER data and not related to Macola, they just are running on the same machine and ran fine "side by side" until now for some strange reason.

Thank you!

I ran into something similar after an update to Windows sometime in the past.

I believe that you are now accessing the data in your local servers using the vpn connection. Not knowing the topography of your net and how the two servers may be able to see each other I understand this is a guess.

For instance.

I have been doing the following for a couple of years.

Using my normal network connection to play an online game (COD2 and Battlefield)

At the same time connecting to a foreign network using a vpn to run sql statements and run system updates and all.

Up until last month or so, this was working fine. Pings on both sides were fine. Suddenly the game has been using the vpn connection and routing through the vpn as evident by the ping times. Disconnect the vpn and the game is killed until restarting, without a vpn and the pings return to fine.

I think that some of the connections must be something to do with having the vpn active and then your connection is trying to go to the vpn to get back to your data.

Andy Baldwin

"Testing is the most overlooked programming language on the books!"

Ask a great question, get a great answer. Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.
Find out how to get great answers FAQ219-2884.

If what Andy says is the case and you're on XP, roll back XP to a date in time prior to the problem occurring and see if it recurs. If it does, apply the XP patches one by one until you find the one that breaks the system, roll it back and then decline it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back