Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Macintosh Hard drive issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0bfv

Programmer
Aug 12, 2000
US
I just wanted to let you know that sometimes at startup you will get a sad macintosh face instead of a happy one. Sometimes this can be fixed by removing the drive, banging it on a table and the reinserting it (make sure your computer is off and unplugged first).

I AM SERIOUS!!!

This may sound funny, but it is true. Don't bang too hard of course. The reason is that the drive gets a little jammed sometimes and you just loosen it up by banging lightly. We have been using this method at my school now for a while and we have not had the extra expense of new drives and we haven't lost data. Amazing, eh?

As a Macintosh technician I've encountered this problem many times myself. An alternative to "bashing" the hard drive... would be to grap the hard drive with one hand (so the hard drive is basically in your palm) and then give your wrist a quick twist (snap your wrist). Do this a couple of times and you can help to avoid any physically damaged drives (or tables for that matter :)

But he's right, this is a great technique (especially on the older drives) for solving the sad mac face. Though keep in mind that this is usually a sign of a failing drive and probably should be replaced (on the same note I've also seen some drives last for years after just one twist).

Good luck to you :) [sig]<a href=mailto:ptswolfman@home.com>ptswolfman@home.com</a><br><a href= Online Certification Transcript</a><br>A+ Certified Technician with service certifications for Machintosh, Compaq, Toshiba, IBM, and HP[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back