Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

machine wont complete boot process, loops from windows loading screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

osiflygirl

IS-IT--Management
Sep 23, 2002
US
The machine starts up ok, begins to load the OS (win2k) and goes until the "windows loading" screem. Then restarts and loops again. I have tried loading on new OS's to no avail...

Does this sound like a faulty motherboard problem..i am planning on testing a new disk drive in it and then checking the memory.

I appreciate any advice anyone has...

thanks,
Amber

A bad CPU will cause your problem.
Suggest checking it first.

It could be a CPU but I'd suspect a power problem first. Start with the wall socket, are many electronic devices sharing the power? Laser printers draw a lot of amps during their startup.

Also, is your power supply failing?

Power supply would normally be more ramdom, maybe CPU but much much more common would be bad memory causing this boot up loop.
Always at the same point? Yes? try memory first, I have seen these exact same symptoms several times and memory is mostly the culprit. Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

Try removing all PCI devices/external devices also,Might be a driver problem??
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back