Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Machine wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannaBgeeksquad

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2006
US
Hey everybody,
I have a machine that was sent to me, with drives seperate from it. when i initially put it back together (1 IDE 40gb boot disk, and one SATA 120gb disk plugged into SATA PCI card) it kinda flickered at the BIOS startup and seemed to struggle a bit, but EVENTUALLY booted to the OS which is XP. After rebooting again, i dont see anything, no bios, nothing.

Its got 2 RAM sticks at 512 (tried reseating), a video card (tried reseating), and dual processors.

I dont hear any beep at startup, which i believe i should, so even iff the video card is bad, that should be some kind of indicator.

Is there any other troubleshooting i can do? without being able to see anything? I have two machines same problem, and they are identical, so swapping around parts is an option if need be..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

try unplugging the hard drives to see if you get any beeps, or remove the video card and ram to see if it gets any beeps

could be the power supply ??

Start by removing everything including RAM, drives, video card etc... Leave the Mb bare bones and turn it on.
It should produce several beeps since there's nothing there.

If you don't get a beep then, then the MB is likely toast.

If you do then start putting components in one at a time.

First thing to put back would be one stick of RAM only if there is more than one.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back