Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Machine Id - for reghakr

Status
Not open for further replies.

asdf098

Programmer
Aug 13, 2001
SG
I want a unique machine id for a computer so that my application will work only in that system. Where can I find a unique identification for a computer? I know that the ethernet card will have a unique Mac number but i dont know where to get the inofrmation. Also this works only if computer has netwok card. what if it doesnt? is there any other uniwue identification of the computer?

Thanks in advance.

asdf098,

If you have 3com cards, the Nic disagnostics utility will give you the address

Or go to Start>Run, type winipcfg /batch /all
Then open the winipcfg.out file on the desktop with Notepad.

Every machine has a unique identifier on the board.
Try downloading SiSoft Sandra Standard (free):

then run the Mainboard module.

How to incorporate these into your program? Absolitely no clue.

reghakr

You can get SiSoft Sandra from Tucows among others if that link doesn't work, or go to for info.

Presumably you want to make it impossible to run the program on another machine for copyright purposes? I hope your low-level code writing is good, as you would have to access the memory where the id is stored in the bios, assuming it's in the same place on all motherboards. It would be less secure, but you could put a code in the registry, which would be real difficult to find if you chose the key name carefully.

asdf098,
To get the mac address try running IPCONFIG /ALL from a DOS prompt..

Cheers

PaulSc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back