Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Macbook screen problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

HebieBug

Programmer
Jan 8, 2001
JP
Hello everyone,
My wife has a macbook 2009 which has a screen problem. On boot it will show apple logo and then it loads to the desktop. The screen then goes blank and the apple graphic on the outside of the lid stops illuminating. I know that it continues to run as I can hear the skype startup sound. If I leave it alone for a little while and then move the mouse the screen will come back on but go out after about 30 seconds to a minute.
I have reset the PRAM
If I get to load into single mode it will also go blank after a while
Anyone got any ideas?

If you shine a flashlight onto the screen when it goes black, can you see faint images of your desktop?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Had a look around so it's the LCD backlight failing.

It could be the backlight, LCD ribbon, or the inverter(if applicable) which is failing. If you can move the screen and bezel assembly back and forth and the picture will come and go, then you are likely looking at a bad LCD ribbon. It has been a year or so since I have been inside a 09 macbook and do not remember if it is a LED or LCD screen. Without knowing screen size or exact model munber, I am coming up empty. With an LED, you will have to replace the entire screen anyway as there is no true inverter separate from the screen itself as there are with a LCD.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

I have got a Mini Dvi To Vga adapter on the way so I can get the model number from OS. As all markings are rubbed off on the case. Should be here in a week. Alright to contact you when it comes and I get all the info needed ?

So far I managed to find out that it is a Apple MacBook Core 2 Duo.

I turned the screen brightness right down and I got 30mins out of it before it went dim again.
The model is
Serial Number: 45911CQF4R1
Model: - MacBook (13-inch, Early 2009)
I tried moving the bezel assembly back and forth but did not seems to help. So might not be the cable.
Do you think that it is a Inverter Board replacement (Part No 922-8280)?

Sorry for the late reply. Long weekend.

Is the screen abnormally hot on any portion of it when it goes black?

That inverter should do the trick but with this particular issue, it could be the LCD screen or the inverter and it is a bear to tell the difference without the use of a multimeter.

If I was in your situation, and capable of safe disassembly, I would disassemble the display and test the inverter on the connector that connects to the LCD screen. There should be voltage coming from those wires going to the screen at all times when the laptop is powered on and not asleep/hibernating. The only bad thing about this test is that you have to partially reassemble your laptop but leaving the inverter exposed enough to do this test. Inverters put out a good chunk of voltage/amperage so you should be very careful and have a basic knowledge of what you are doing. If you see that the inverter stops putting out voltage during your black screen issue, then you know you need to replace the inverter. If the inverter is doesn't skip a beat, then the backlight is failing in the LCD and you would need to replace it.

Without that testing or having known good replacements on hand, simple replace and pray are the only other way I know of attempting to fix this particular issue. As I said above, if you are not comfortable disassembling your laptop in this way, or in dealing with electricity, then take it to a professional and they should be able to get you lined out.

Followed all the steps and replaced the board. It works now but is dimmer then before and sometimes goes a little dark then lighter.
But usable so am very happy.
Dr B0b thank you very much for helping me out and directing me to the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back