Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

macbook pro and imaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

sstoppel

IS-IT--Management
Jul 12, 2004
US
Just for yuks, and also hopefully to use in production, I am trying to update the zenworks imaging bootcd.iso to load the Yukon gigabit driver which should work with the Macbook pro.

The cd itself seems to boot fully and work fine on the Macbook, but there is no eth0.

I am really out of my element in Linux, but my understanding is that I must:

1. Compile the kernel with the driver on SLED (I have it running in a VMWare session).

2. Add the .o file to the addfiles on the cd

and

3. Burn a new .iso file and make my cd.

Can anyone lend any expertise on this?

I am just using VMWare to have a SLED box to compile drivers. My intention is just to build a zen imaging CD by adding Mactel NIC drivers and the ability to read HFS+ volumes.

If I somehow get it working I will put the .iso up for download. If any linux gurus want to participate in this little experiment any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you get a MacTel ZEN disc created? If so, I'm interested in snagging it! :)

The Yukon Marvel NIC. Fun fun fun NIC.

Currently working with Zen backline support on an issue with a customer on this (even ended up shipping on of my customers PC to Novell for troubleshooting). Even though Novell says they fixed the issue with the driver in a post HP4 update, it still is not working right in HP6.

Try this, my customer and I have noticed that when you try to push an image by assigning it to the PC, the NIC driver fails to load, but when you go into manual mode, it works fine. What results do you get?

So far this is what I have gotten back from Novell. Currently we are getting varied results, some work and some still don't. So we are still testing this.

If you are using pxe, modify the z_maint.cmd file found in the SYS:\tftp\cmds directory. put this parameter after the vga= parameter space separated.

newid="0x11ab 0x4320, skge"

If you us a bootcd then just type it in before you select manual mode on the imaging menu.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt SPOOOOON!!!!! [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

Sorry thickage, I couldn't get it working and went on to other things. I have to say that this would be the coolest thing since sliced bread if someone could make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back