Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MacBook Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

hikermann

Instructor
Jan 22, 2002
US
Please / Thanks:

Have a 2006 Black 13" MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo1 Model #A1181 - trackpad/spacebar seems to have gone on vacation -- though I can get cursor movement, there's no "click" left to make the cursor do what it's supposed to do. Does the entire keyboard need to be replaced as a unit to correct this? Asked at the local RePC recycle store if they had any such keyboard(s) and was told that there was specific identifying info needed to determine which keyboard was appropriate. Is that correct? Does the info given above suffice? Where could one find a replacement keyboard?

Perhaps helpful: Have been using a USB mouse, but there must/might be something more at issue than just the keyboard as clicking with the mouse doesn't trigger everything -- for example, if I open Finder, then open iTunes (which then covers Finder), then try to click on whatever portion of Finder is showing from under iTunes, there is no response -- when it should revert and bring Finder back to the front. Same thing, for example, as I go "deeper" into the pull-downs: mouse-click on AirPort and the drop-down shows; mouse-click on Open Network Preferences and that dialog opens; then, however, if I attempt clicking on any of the options there (Advanced, Assist me, Revert, Apply, or even the red "close" button), nothing happens.

So ... who knows what gremlins are at work here ..?

Thanks for any help!

If you can still "feel" the click, the switch/hardware may be fine. You could check for loose ribbon cables inside.

If the click cannot be felt, you will likely need to replace a component.

For a laptop so old, it could have fallen victim to drops, crumbs, spilled drinks, dust, insects, etc.

Thanks for your response. Have pretty much concluded it's in need of a new keyboard component; kind of like getting a knee replaced when there are many years of history on it ... ol' MacBook has not fallen victim to drops, crumbs, spilled drinks, or insects, but perhaps dust, and certainly a Lot of Miles of being hauled around ... so 'tis probably time for a bit of refurbishment.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back