Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MacBook Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

hikermann

Instructor
Jan 22, 2002
US
When I click on "Turn Airport On", it automatically shows "xfinitywifi" as the only option; a few seconds later the pull-down list will show about a dozen or so other options, including my own T-Mobile connection. When I "Open Network Preferences" and enter my T-Mobile connection in the Network Name line, then click Apply, then Lock, everything should be OK from there one (as I understand it) and the next time I click on "Turn Airport On" it should automatically open to what I have specified (T-Mobile).

NOT.

Right back to xfinitywifi and go through the entire sequence again.

Q-1: Am I or am I not correctly understanding what the network name preference business is supposed to do; and

Q-2: Why does Airport then ignore what I have "applied" and "locked"?

Any assistance appreciated. Thanks.

1. The Network Name option in Network Preferences is there for you to select a network to connect to at that time. It does not lock the selection. The xfinitywifi option is probably just the first one the Macbook finds so that's what it shows while it searches for other networks near it.

2. Locking the Network preferences means changes cannot be made to them. but the Wifi network is not something you can lock to a specific one. Its not a permanent setting. ITs a list of available networks your Mac can find near it, so you can select one.

you can go into the Advanced section, and move your preferred network to the top of the last so it tries to connect to it first.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back