Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mac un NT DOmain controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

surzycki

IS-IT--Management
Feb 9, 2002
FR
Hello,

I am a newbie in the mac world. An I am trying to connect a Mac I have to a Windows NT network (OSX for the Mac, and NT,2000,2003 for Windows, with a domain controller that is win 2003). Here is where I am at:

- I was able to connect the Mac to the LAN through TCPIP
- It created a WorkGroup for all the other PCs to see
- I don't really want that, I would prefer if it were
to appear under the Domain

- I could access the Mac via PC through the WorkGroup.

What I would really want is to have the mac use an NT user account to log into the Domain. And get print and file sharing

Am I asking for too much???
Is this a HUGE question?
If it is where can I get info on how to do this??

Thanks in advance for any information

Stefan

Hello;
Maybe this can help you...
jl

First of all open Directory Access application in Utility, click on padlock icon to grant permission and write your password. Select SMB from the list and then click on "Configure..." button. In the workgroup field box type your domain name (MYDOMAIN in this explanation) select OK then Apply button. Quit Directory Access. From now on, your Mac is connected to the domain MYDOMAIN and you will see all servers under this domain.

Now you need to edit, with root permissions, smb.conf in /etc. I use vi, but you can choose whatever else text editor. Opened smb.conf make a new line under workgruop = MYDOMAIN and enter the follow code:

password server = *

security = domain

hide files = .Trashes/Temporary Items/Desktop */TheFindByContentFolder/

TheVolumeSettingsFolder/.DS_Store/.AppleDouble/

NOTE: The hide files line is shown on two lines; enter it as one with no added spaces.

The first two lines say to Samba to get the password from the domain controller.
The following line tells Samba to hide all Mac stuff and dot starting file to the client. Now go at the end of the file and add these lines:

[MYSHARE]

path = <b>/Volumes/MysecondHD/Afolder</b>

public = yes

browseable = yes

writable = yes

force create mask = 0775

force create mask = 0775

force user = <b>myuser</b>

force group = unknown

hide dot files = yes

This is only an example of a share; you can put how many share you want following this scheme. The things you need to change are the name (MYSHARE in example), the path (/Volumes/MysecondHD/Afolder), and the user (myuser). Is important to change the user to one already existing on your Mac; even better if that user has admin permissions. Now save smb.conf and type in a terminal the following command:

sudo net join -U Administrator

I assumed that your network user administrator is called &quot;Administrator,&quot; if not then change the line accordingly. At the first prompt, enter your Mac password and hit return. At the second prompt, enter the network administrator password and hit return.

Well done, now all that's left is to start (or restart if already running) the Windows sharing from the Sharing control panel of your Mac.

If you go on a Windows machine, now you see your Mac on the network browser, and inside the Mac is your shared directory. The first time you try connecting, an annoying window ask you for a login and password; type none and hit return, and, if you already logged onto domain, you'll get full access to the shared Mac directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back