Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAC to IP resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnpd41

Technical User
May 27, 2003
US
All,
I am loking for a means to find the IP address of a known host based on the MAC address...I am trying to track down any network printers that have IPX enabled. So if I do a network monitor I can see hosts sending out SAP broadcasts but only have the mac. Any ideas? TIA

You need a tool that can do a RARP (Reverse ARP). Look around with google. They are out there, but most of them are Unix/linux based.
regards,
robert

As this is a on-off need, use ricpinto's trick:

Let say your network is class c with the address range 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.254 then run the command below:

c:\>FOR /L %i IN (1,1,254) DO nbtstat -a 192.168.0.%i>>nbtstat.txt

(1,1,254) - (start,step,end)
%i - variable.
nbtstat.txt - Resulting file.

This event will take awhile . .

Now open file nbtstat.txt and search for the MAC address you're looking for.

I was thinking . . . kinda scary . . .

If all or most of your printers/print servers are HPs or compatible, by far the easiest thing would be to download Web JetAdmin, build the device list, filter for IPX Yes. It would find the offending printers and allow you to correct the situation without leaving the comfort of your own chair.

I don't use anything that isn't HP or compatible, but I would have to imagine others have a similar utility available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back