Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mac the way to go to avoid spyware, virus, & such?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orypecos

Technical User
Mar 3, 2004
US
I currently have XP with Zonelarm, virus and other protection, but I really have better things to do then continuously updating and scanning for the scum of the world that wants to make my life more difficult by writing malware.
Can I avoid all this wasted time by just buying a Mac? I read some where that Macs don't have problems with all the malware. Is this true?

The current state of the world is that anything non-Windows is more protected. Why? Because the malware is written specifically for the Windows OS.

Buy a Mac and lose compatibility with about 90% of the software out there, including most malware.

No one is fully safe, and that's a truth.

"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare. I came out of it dead broke, without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of UNIX."
"Well, that's something," Avi says. "Normally those two are mutually exclusive."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon"

yes, a virus in the MAC community may wipe out all 36 machines[bigcheeks]

I have to agree I have had both in the past and I am just pleased with the SW selection for the MAC. I think that this is just about marketshare not about the real security of the MACOS.

Michael

There is no place like 127.0.0.1.

OPPS Edit Edit...

I have to agree I have had both in the past and I am just NOT pleased with the SW selection for the MAC. I think that this is just about marketshare not about the real security of the MACOS.

Michael

Michael

There is no place like 127.0.0.1.

Don't forget the MAC math.

PC price * random figure = MAC price

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

StuReeves, that's wrong nowadays, with Apple moving to Intel hardware...

"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare. I came out of it dead broke, without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of UNIX."
"Well, that's something," Avi says. "Normally those two are mutually exclusive."

Macs will not be running on generic Intel hardware. They will be running on a select small subset. Windows XP will not run on the Mac compatible motherboards either since MacOS needs EFI and XP still uses BIOS. You'll still be paying a premium for a Mac for quite a while.

Perhaps next year, after Vista ships (which also uses EFI) you might see a hardware platform that can run both unmodified.

[sub]Jeff
[purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day

"The software I buy sucks, The software I write sucks. It's time to give up and have a beer..." - Me[/sub]

To back up Masterracker
Nortel Meridian PBX's have Pentium processors in, don't mean it can run windows.

Stu..

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

If the MacOS platform becomes more popular, it's only a matter of time before the malware & virus writers start to target it.

So, nothing is forever.

Chip H.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back