Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mac OS X Stripping file extensions on W2K3 box

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilMac

MIS
Nov 1, 2005
US
Hi all

I have a Mac OS X that I have connected to my W2K3 server and is sharing files with XP users. The problem is that the Mac is stripping off the file extensions when it saves the files to the file server. How do I stop this?

I have file services for apple on the volume and it can see the volume and access the file share without any problems.

Also how do i enforce NTFS security for the Mac on that W2K3 server?

Thank you in advance.

Are you sure the mac is stripping the extensions when it saves to the server rather than to the user's machine?

in the various MS Office Mac apps, MS has a check box on the save window for sdding the extension. If unchecked it does not append the extension. Once the thing is checked and a save is completed, the app retain the check even after quitting.

I'm assuming you are referring to an OSX box. Pre osx mac didn't use extensions. One problem is that people run pre osx apps under the Classic enviroment. That does not automatically append the extension on many apps. You have to do it manually.

Using OSX 10.3.8 on a G4

This is probably a permissions issue. I'd guess that the file gets written but there is something causes a problem with the resource fork so the Mac can't access it and the file association is lost.

I have checked with my user to get more info. It is a Mac 10.4.2 box. when you go to open a file the extension is not there. They get an error message that states "no default application specified to open document." they add the QXP extension (or whatever they think the extension may be.) to the file and then it opens the file.

It seems as if when I moved the data from the old Windows 2000 server to the new Windows 2003 server there is a setting that I am missing to retrieve or keep the extensions.

Thank you in advance!

This does not look like a server proiblem.

Your last post referred to QuarkXPess (.qxd) documents. Also 10.4 indicates that this is a new machine or atleat an uprade of the os. An awful lot of people are still using pre osx versions of this app and running it under classic - non osx which does not append extensions. If the people don't have Quark 6 or 6.5 this is not OSX native. It will run under Classic and extensions will not be automatically put on the file. Many Quark users have avoided Quark 6X because many consider it a POS. You might see if they're running other non osx native apps also. If so these apps will NOT run under OSX. If so they should make sure that the Classic enviroment is launched. The easiest way to launch is to find the Application (within its folder) and drag its icon to the Dock. When they want to open that app they just drag the file over the icon in the Dock and it will open.

In the meantime they can right click or Control click the document icon to get teh onscreen contextual menu and go to the OPEN WITH section - selecting Quark or whatever.

I'd suggest that you see about the non native osx thing and come back here. If the users are using native OSX apps, I'll give you some hints on setting up the machine (s) but, if they're using Classic apps this will continue to be a little headache

Using OSX 10.3.8 on a G4

Thank you jmgalvin. We are using Quark 6.5 and we are getting ready to put Adobe Creative suite 2 premium and we have the most resent verion of office on it too.

Darn - thought I had it with the mac classic thing. I'd suggest that you look to see it the extension is being added to files when they save to their own hard drive. If so, and it's not getting placed on the server, the only thing I can think of is to make sure that Apple menu/System prefs/Network & Internet/Sharing has Windows sharing turned on under services and that Windows file sharing is on under Firewall. I really can't see why this would effect things but it's worth a try. Quark 6X has been noted to have quite a few server related issues, but the most common is corruption rather than extension stripping.

If the local saves (users drive) are not having the extension placed after the file, the user will have to make some changes. With the Office apps, make sure that Append Estension id checked in the Save window. Once checked this stays checked and all docs get ".doc", ".xls" etc. You could check either Preferences or the Save box for Q6.5 to see if that option is present. Photoshop extensions are set in Preferences/File handling. You are given the choice to append extension never, always, or ask. Indesign and illustrator seem to append automaically.

The user can click on a file's icon and then go to File menu (in Finder)/Get Info. You'll see Open With. If you don't see anything else next to Open with click the little triangle. You select the app to use to open the document. Then go right below that to assign that same app to open all documants of that type. I have Photoshop picked for things like .jpg or .tiff and Illustrator picked for .eps etc.

Please note that users can always put an alias to an app in the Dock or on the desktop. To put it in the dock just find the app and drag it to the dock - creating an alias. A document can be opened by just draggin its icon over the appropriate icon in the dock.

One thing you may or may not know about Quark and Indesign (Q equivalent in Creative Suite). You cannot import Q 6 files into ID. You have to Save the Q6 as Q5 then open the thing in Q5 and downsave to 4. It then will open in Indesign. Don't know of any recent fixes for this problem. If you don't have Q5 you could have a problem transferring docs for Q6 to ID.

Using OSX 10.3.8 on a G4

Have your users type the extension into the filename when saving.

One thing that's important.

In Finder, go to File menu/Preferences and click on the Advanced tab. Make sure that Show Extensions is checked.

Using OSX 10.3.8 on a G4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back