Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mac not seeing server 2000 volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

wags240

Technical User
Nov 17, 2003
US
We are running two servers here, 2000 and 2003. I shut down both over the weekend to replace a battery in our UPS. When restarted there were no issues and both seemed to be back online. Monday morning we started up our Mac workstations and the two running OSx 10.5.6 would not see the volumes on the 2000 server but could see the 2003 box. The other Mac workstations running 10.4 and below could see both volumes just as before. I have contacted the people we bought the servers from and they are stumped. They suggested I reinstall my Mac OS which I did on one workstation but it did not help. Can anyone help? It seems to me to be a problem at the windows 2000 server box. Nothing else changed but shutting them down per procedure. HELP!!!

Do you mount the volumes on the mac desktop? Sometimes, when you lose connectivity to a mounted volume, it does not show up when reconnected.

Try opening Disk Utility and see if the volumes show in the left on the disk utility window. If yes, click on one and then on Mount. You might also check the firewall settings on the 2 effected macs.

It should not be a problem with the 2000 machines if they're working for all the other macs. Of course, there could be a setting in the windows machine necessary for just 10.5, as opposed to 10.4 and earlier.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

Thanks for your reply JM. When we start our Macs we usually do the command K which opens the connect to server function. We then make sure the IP address is in the window and click connect. Before it would access the server volumes on the 2000 box. After the shutdown it will only see the 2003 box not the 2000. This is very strange since nothing had changed, no one was even here but me when I shut the servers down. And it is only affecting the Jaguar 10.5.6 machines. Any earlier Mac OS is not affected. I had the server techs even do a remote on both the server and the Mac and they are stumped. This is really annoying. I could copy all of the information from the 2000 box to the 2003 and just use it as a door stop. I am still thinking it is a problem at the Windows 2000 box.

Can you PING the server 2000 from the 10.5.6 machine and does the server 2000 show up on the Network pane if you do a shift Apple K?

....JIM....

When we do the Apple K we can type in the IP address but it will not connect. We tried pinging and it does not ping from the Mac side or from the 2000 server to this Mac. I am puzzled because communication with the 2003 server is working fine. I think we can rule out the network as the issue. I still think it is in the 2000 server box. Will be calling again today to see if anyone has a solution.

Did you macs come with 10.5.6 or did you recently download the update from Apple? If you recently downloaded the update, you might try going back to an earlier version of 10.5 and see if that works.

If all the other macs are seeing the server, it's more likely a glitch with your version of 10.5 or a configuration problem on the 2 problem macs.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

I reloaded 10.5 and tried to access the 2000 box which did not work. I updated to 10.5.6 and still no luck. The thing is there were absolutely no changes made between Friday when everyone shut down and Monday when we started up. The only thing that was done is the servers shut down for the minor maintenance to the UPS. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back