Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAC not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike722

MIS
Sep 8, 2001
BR
This is a problem that has been happening on our network for a while now.

One day when a user comes in they turn on their MAC and they get a question mark.

After booting to nortons utility CD I notice that the HD is not accessable and the desktop icons are not there.

I then run the disk scanning utility that comes with nortons and halfway through the scan all the files appear on the desktop and after the scan the HDD is accessable again.

When rebooting I find that the question mark is still there and the mac is not booting, so then I boot to the system CD with the same version as was previously installed on the mac. I run the OS install again to put back any missing files and that fixes the problem and the mac boots fine.

My problem at the moment with the particualr MAC that is suffering from this problem today is that I dont have a MAC OS CD that matches the system installed (i only have a MAC 9.1 CD and the MAC in quesiton has OS 9.2.2 so i cant overwrite it). Does anyone know how I can get the mac to boot again without having to run the OS CD through?

cheers

Mike

Nrton Utilities will normally cure it. Sounds like B-tree leaves trouble.

<signature for rent>

Try booting with Norton.

Delete or rename the buggy 'System' folder.

Then reinstall OS 9.1.

You can update to 9.2.2 from 9.1 using Apple's online software update.

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back