Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

mac keyboard on a windows machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 7, 2005
CA
hey guys - does anyone know if a mac keyboard will work on a windows machine? i want to use this with a kvm right now my setup is on a kvm with wireless msft usb keyboard and mouse and that works. Can this work the other way around?

the other crappy thing is that there is no usb keyboard for mac it's all bluetooth and so if i want to go that route i will need to make my pc bluetooth as well on top of buying the add on for the mac since i didn't get the bluetooth option on the mini...

As far as I know, Mac keyboards and mice can be interchanged with windows USB keyboards and mice.

What do you mean there's no USB keyboard for Mac? You can buy Apple's USB keyboard and mouse for Mac for $29 each.

There's a KVM which uses bluetooth??

I'm curious, because I'm thinking that the bluetooth keyboard will be sending keystrokes to any computer registered to use it, and the KVM isn't even in the picture so far as keyboarding is concerned.

I'm with ObviousTroll -- just buy a Mac keyboard. There are several differences that will make you want to use one, anyway, like 13 Fkeys (not just 12), eject button for the optical drive, volume controls, and Apple-specific option/control keys.

I just tried out the Apple keyboard & mouse on my Win2k machine, and they work fine. You'll want a 2nd mouse button, for sure, but they show up as HID-compliant devices.

Chip H.

A mac keyboard works perfectly fine on a pc, as far as I know. There are different brands of mouse that are compatible with both mac and pc, kensington for instance.

try the other way round a pc keyboard will work on a mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back