Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mac File Sharing over a WAN - routing issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoneIT

MIS
Jan 16, 2002
US
I have a TCP/IP LAN/WAN with a lot of PC's, a few mac's and a Mac server. I have recently moved one of my Mac's over to a different subnet than the server for the first time. The server is using Faircom Server and file sharing and is at OS 8.6, and the client is at 9.1. The remote Mac gets an IP address from DHCP which is located in the same subnet as the Mac server, so that's working OK. I can connect to the remote Mac using its IP address from the other subnet, but when I try to connect to the server from the remote Mac (go the other way), it says that it can't find the server. I've checked the IP addressing, the subnet mask and default gateway are correct, and I can ping the remote mac from my PC's, but I can't connect to the server from that Mac. It makes no sense - why can I connect one direction but not the other? Anything would help - NOT A MAC PERSON.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back