Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

M8X24 - No outbound audio on one station - very confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.

iswsystems

Vendor
Dec 15, 2008
CA
Looking for anyone who has bumped into this one....

I've been doing phone systems for 11 years, a lot of Nortel, Toshiba and NEC. Customer called me today, and they have one station (#245) that has no outbound audio on all types of calls....external, internal. paging.

Customer tried the following before calling me in:
Replaced handset
Replaced coily cord
Replaced modular cord
Replaced entire station

No change to symptoms after this.

I confirmed the symptoms before changing anything. Here's what I tried:

Step through all programming in general, all settings look normal.
Turned on set relocation, removed port #301 from this jack and tied a new port number (Port #110) to this jack. Plugged phone in an allowed set relocation to do it's thing. Still same symptoms. Tried another phone, still no outbound audio.

I've never seen anything like this....ever....anybody? It is a very old system M8X24. There are two M0X16 (copper) expansion modules, but only one is connected to the system. The one that is not connected is powered up, but it looks like it has been dragged behind a truck. Moving the extension from expansion cabinet 1 to the KSU to me has confirmed it is not a port issue.

I'm quoting on replacing the system now anyway, but since this phone belongs to HR, we need to come up with a temporary fix for the audio problem.

These are all analog trunks, and no other users are experiencing any issues thus far.

In some ways we are a little afraid to depower & repower the KSU, in case there are larger issues at hand at this point in case the system doesn't come back up.

The strange thing I did notice though was this..... I checked the port number first (port 301). When I checked port/DN status for 301, it said it was unequipped, but yet the phone worked (except for the audio problem). Once I moved 245 to port #110, port/DN status does show as operational, but we still have the audio issue.

Try direct connect at the distribution frame. If it works, Sounds like the only thing you haven't done is change the cable/jack. Try a different pair in the cable.

Marv ccna

Sounds like to me corruptDNnitus.
If its an M7310 or M7324 (large phone) try putting an M7208 on the port to reset it, boot up and test, if OK put back the other phone and test again.

If still an issue and user needs to keep 245:
Put the user on another port but make sure Set Relocation is OFF so that they will take on a different DN.
Test the phone, if it works then leave as is and put an Answer Key on that DN for 245 and change the Mailbox DN: 2XX (if reception uses F986 then they must use new DN)
Under Names/245 put CORRUPT

Issue might be fixed on the next REINSTALL

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Thanks guys, I'll try some of this. One of the first things I checked was that the handset cord was not plugged into the headset port...I've seen lots of people make this mistake.

I'll try the 7208 trick.... or assign another DN if that doesn't work.

Unfortunately for this system, the next reinstall will be in the dumpster ;-)

Punch a jack down at the station module and try the phone with relocation off.
If it works change the pair on the cable and maybe the jack.
A NEW 7.1 norstar mics will work with their phones.(For another 29 Years).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back