Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

M8X24-DS dialing 9 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

billycrystal

Technical User
Aug 19, 2002
US
I am sure this has been asked before but I am having trouble locating the correct solution before I go programming and mess up something. I am relatively new to the Norstar Systems and work at a school where we have to dial a 9 prior to any outside number. Is it possible to eliminate this feature without too much trouble?

We have the M8X24 - DS, M0X16 with DR5.1

-Why would you want to remove 9?
-If you wipe it out then what is your plan to dial out?

Having an understanding of this unusual request might have an impact on answers.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thanks Curlycord,
I understand it is unlawful now to have to dial anything other than 9-1-1 for emergencies and I thought it may just simplify things as to not having to dial 9 before every call. Is the "dial 9" option really important/necessary?

You can program each phone to Prime Line: to Pool X in programming.
This would have an impact on when you press Handsfree or picking up the handset, those whom Intercom more often then Prime Line= Intercom works.

The idea of 9 is probably because you do not have lines on your phone to choose from (Park & Page mode) like a regular PBX.

For 911 it is best to program dest codes accordingly:
This way 9911 and 911 can both be used.

There is also Hotline in Capabilities, program External and to dial 9

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thanks CC,
I am sorry for not fully understanding your reply.

Let me clarify a bit;
I am a super novice on the Nortel/Norstar systems. I am on the Facilities Team here at the school and tasked with maintaining the equipment.
I understand the basic programming of the 8X24.

Our phones do have all lines present.
There are 6 lines total, 4 on Pool A and 2 on Pool B.

Maybe you could help me understand why it is necessary to have to dial 9 to get the outside line other than just getting the line? Is it just the way the system is designed? This seems a bit archaic to me.
And maybe you could be able to tell me in detail how to go about either eliminating the dial 9 or other options.
If you don't have the time to do that I understand.

Again, sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Bill

Well in your case it seems it is not necessary unless you have some small sets.

An example:
A site has 100 phones and 25 lines
You cannot fit 25 lines on the sets so instead you have features on your buttons and to dial out you intercom an access code such as 9.

When you have line appearances on your phone then you do not need to dial any access code, just press a line to get out.
Small phones like the M7100 will always need to dial 9 or press the one and only button if programed for Line Pool (F64x)

Why your lines are in 2 different pools, some examples:
-companies can share a system, they have their own pools.
-some lines are a backdoor number for sales or doctors to always be able to contact somebody on the inside, AA may answer them too.
-some line are on a cheaper carrier for long distance

Lets us know that just pressing a line works to call out.
It maybe it was just easier to always dial 9 then try to figure out which line to press.
Did somebody at site tell you that you had to dial 9?

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

If you press a line button, do you still have to dial 9 before the desired phone number? If so, the problem may not be the system, but with the carrier. Might just have to contact the carrier to suppress the 9...

That's a good call MooreTel
A little primitive these days and why I forgot that.

Centrex you would have to dial 9
Long Distance Carriers would install those dialers by the phone system to dial 9 for you.

I refer you to my original post then...
"There is also Hotline in Capabilities, program External and to dial 9"
This means when you pickup the handset it will dial the 9 for you, maybe pressing Handsfree key too.
The set under Line Access should be programmed Prime Line to Pool A

You would change the Hotline 99 in this particular case.
9 for pool A and 9 for Carrier

You can test this theory first by pressing Intercom, 9, see if it grabs a line (ln 4) then 9 again to see if you get another dial tone.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thanks CC & MT,

After checking the demarc with a butt set and calling the telco, I found out we are on their Centrex system.

Thanks guys, sorry for wasting your time!

Bill

If you are required to dial 9 prior to 911 contact the provider. Your telco is mandated by law to accept 911 without a 9 prefix. At least in Canada anyway.

Marv ccna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back