Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LVM export in RedHat 5.5-6.1 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

neuralnode

Technical User
Sep 12, 2007
PL
Hi All,

Setup: 2 RedHat 5.5 servers with Oracle 10g installed, each server in a different Datacenter.

Situation: Datacenter A goes down. Server A is no longer available, but the DB is critical. The storage from server A containing the DB filesystems is replicated and connected to Server B in Datacenter B.

Task: Configure the newly connected disks on server B, so that the LVM structure is preserved, and the DB filesystems can be mounted.

How do I do that??

I'm not really experienced with RH. On Solaris the easiest way is to import/export a ZFS pool.
What would be the equivalent operation on RedHat with LVM?

Thanx in advance!

--

Thanx, BadBigBen!

Still, I'd have one more question. What if both machines have the same VG and LV names? Can I force the import of a VG under a new name?

--

to tell you the truth, I've no idea, I had only done this once a few years back, and it was just to upgrade the hardware...

I would think that either using unique names or just remounting them on new hardware and then transferring/backing-up data, is the key to success...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back