Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Luxul Products - Any Comments 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
I work with a guy that does high end audio/video installations for wealthy customers and they usually are in large houses (>4000 sq. ft.). The guy likes to put in Luxul products (access points, wireless controllers, routers) because they give him a much bigger profit margin and are allegedly better in terms of quality/performance.

We just seem to be having a lot of flaky problems with nanny cams or devices that drop off the wifi at multiple locations. So, either I am incompetent and can't configure a simple network OR the Luxul equipment is not worth the premium price OR we have the worst luck.

Soliciting comments. I know this question is not terribly specific in terms of circumstances/setup.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Well, I'm pretty sure it's not you.
Luck, either way, is mythical.
You need to find a way to make excessive troubleshooting time eat into your friend's "much bigger profit margin".
Then he will find a solution.

No, he's not a network guy and he HATES doing it. I've used Unifi access points and I've had zero problems. But most of these customers have lots of Sonos which introduces a lot of spanning tree traffic onto the network.

I wanted to comment on what I found. We have a situation where almost every installation has Luxul wireless products. And at quite a few we had strange network dropping problems. But, we also had a lot of Sonos products at these customers. A WireShark scan showed that the Sonos products are flooding the network with a Spanning Tree broadcast storm periodically which essentially crashes the switch. Then the switch "reboots" and the cycle starts over. Roughly every half hour at one customer. We thought he was psychotic for a while - "every half hour, really!?!?!?". By the way, this guy had like 15 zones of Sonos so that is why he had such bad symptoms.

So, no need to question Luxul products. It is actually fixed by getting a switch that supports Spanning Tree Protocol to stop the broadcast storms from happening when having a number of Sonos products, especially multiple HARD WIRED Sonos products.

Link

Link

Thanks for the info, Goom. Tuck that one away for safekeeping.

I was going to say that for a premium price, it better come with premium support! Hopefully a phone call to one of the company's gurus helped resolve it.

Yes, it was Luxul support that asked for the Wire Shark scan and analyzed it for the spanning tree issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back