Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lunch an VB.exe is too slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

hortensiam

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2002
AR
Hi!
Does anybody tell me why an .exe file (compiled with vb 6.0) is too slow.
The only I can tell is that the projects involve 30 (no complicated, ado manegment) differents forms
thanks,

You need to look at what the project is doing before any forms are shown -- perhaps it's reading some files, opening database connections, making internet calls?

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

Sad but true, this is one reason for splash screens - give the user something to look at while you initiate setup.
If there is some sizable setup going on, you could be updating a label on the splash screen telling people what you are up to while it happens.
Then, when you are ready, kill the splash screen and get on with the main dialog.

I can't believe that!
It must exist any way to optimize the load and execute an .exe file compiled with vb6!!!
If any... I apreciate for them..

hortensiam, have you read FAQ222-2244? Especially Item 15?

Well with 30 forms I am going to guess that you have a MDI application and in the properties of the MDI parent you have the AutoShowChildren Property set to true. Which means that every form that is a child MDI form is loaded along with the Parent MDI form. Set it to false and manually load your forms as you need them, and please read FAQ222-2244 item 15.

Good Luck

What exactly does your project do when it is started? Can you post the coding?

The project perform a conection to a SQL database (in a global variable cn) and then fill two listviews with aproximately 1000 items each with a string ( id_client + id_client_name) as they key (for each item in the listitem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back