Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lucent 56k V.90 DF Modem problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Termn8tr2002

Technical User
Mar 8, 2003
US
Hi:
I have a Compaq Presario 1270 and had to reinstall Win98se. I've reinstalled all the drivers w/ the exception of having a problem w/ the modem. It's identified as a Lucent 56k V.90 DF Modem. I go into Control Panel & dbl-click the Modems icon, the modem comes up, so I hit the Diagnostics Tab and the modem is on Com1. I hit the More Info button, communication is started, then I get a message: The modem failed to respond. Make sure it is properly connected and turned on. If it is an internal modem (which it is)or is connected, verify that the interrupt for the port is properly set.
I've tried to change the interrupt w/ no success and I'm under the impression that Com1 should have an Interrupt of 3, however, this interrupt is 4.
ANY suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mikey

You may need the drivers to set the modem up on the right interupt. You will may also need the additional perameters for the modem itself. Try Good Luck

I don't know sir...I guess its broke.

COM1 is interrupt 4, and COM2 is interrupt 3 according to their standard, default configuration. But I don't think that this is your real problem. The real issue is probably that you have a serial port that is also COM1 (IRQ 4, address 3F8) on your motherboard that is conflicting.

If you aren't using your serial ports, I would suggest that you disable them in the BIOS, and then test your modem. Normally you can set them to a disable state.

Of course moving the modem to COM3 or COM4 is often a superior solution. Some modems are just difficult to configure.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back