Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lto3 data tapes being seen as cleaning tapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gozar

IS-IT--Management
Feb 16, 2004
US
I have a brand new library with 2 lto3 drives. When 1 of the tape drives gets a tape - either for inventory or to start a job - the tape is seen as cleaning. The other drive works fine - just the other drive - every tape that gets inserted then shows up in the library as cleaning.

Any thoughts?

And it is backup exec 10.

Hello,

Did you ever figure this out? I'm haveing the exact same problem with a Dell ML6000 and a single drive. All tapes are seen as cleaning tapes after an inventory.

Thanks!

Yes - the problem with mine was that when the msl6060 was installed the 2 tapes drive were wired wrong. The library and 1 tape drive had to be on one bus and the other tape had to have its own bus. When they installed ours, the library had its own bus and the 2 tape drives were sharing one. So one of the drives was malfuntioning due to incorrect configuration on the scsi hookup.

Thanks but the way the Dell ML6000 works is both the drive and the changer have the same SCSI ID and then it uses LUNs to differentiate the drive from the changer. This is the first device I've ever setup like that and am having a hell of a time getting everythign working. Even after I've enabled LUNs on the SCSI card BIOS everyting shows up as a cleaning tape in BackupExec! Anyone else have any expierence with this problem or this device?

Thanks!

Oh yeah - I forgot - after we got it wired right - it was still reading them as cleaing tapes , so they replaced the faulty drive and it worked like a champ. So I had bad configuration and a bad tape drive right out of the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back