Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LTO speed on Arcserve 1800MB/min ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

HERBOTS

MIS
Sep 16, 2002
BE
Hi,

Can someone give tips on how to reach LTO speed (1800 MB/min)? The maximum that I’m getting without virus shields, defragmenter and other services is 100MB/min during the night!

Server specifications:
2 mirrored boot disks with programs, 1 separate swap disk, 5 disks in RAID5 for information store, 2 x 1Ghz Xeon processors, 1 GB memory. Separate SCSI controller for backup device. Only task = mailserver

Backup library specifications: Dell T128, Uncompressed maximum backup rate: 108GB/hr.

All tips are very welcome !
Thanks,
Dieter

Hi again,

*** PROBLEM SOLVED ***

For the people that are interested:
The default SCSI controller included with the Tape library or device is mostly a 39160 at this time. The drivers included are normally meant for Hard Disks so they are not really designed in the first place to run a tape device.

Quote ADAPTEC:
With non-disk device such as HP Ultrium Tape drive..., the driver did not negotiate transfer rate, all subsequent I/O transfers occurred as asynchronous speeds.

You can download a special designed driver for better access.

Greets,
Dieter

HERBOTS,
where did you find the driver I am having the same problem with a similar setup.

Hi Oboy,

I forgot the link.

You can download it at a Dell site:

If the link fails you can search it on filename at the Dell support site:
W2KA09S3.EXE

Description:
Adaptec 36160 SCSI Controller Windows 2000 Driver Set v1.0 S3

Note: After installation of the driver the backup speed increased from 100Mb/s to 1350Mb/s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back