Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LTO Restore Performance Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtaixer

Technical User
Sep 20, 2002
US
Production machine is on AIX 5200-02. It backs up and restores at 800mb/min using pax. ATAPE driver is 6.1.9.0. LTO is set to varible block size. Block size on tape is 10240.
DR Test machine is on AIX 5200-3 and restores at 20mb/min using pax. ATAPE driver is 9.0.7.0. LTO is set to varible block size.
Command to backup - pax -wXvf /dev/rmtx (cannot change this)
Command to restore - pax -rvf /dev/rmtx
Can anyone tell me why the DR Test machine is so slow on the restore?
Thanx is advance.

Mohmin,

the safest way to backup is using a NIM server....

Benefits:

- Fast and reliable recovery
- reduced maintainence requirements and productivity gains in environments with multiple servers or LPAR server partitions.

** The management of sys backups with mksysb,pax...,utility is tedious and time consuming effort and is high risk activity during the recovery of production environ.

**NIM enables the entire process to be automated with the backup and recovery created and managed by a seperate server.

i got the same thing, backup on aix 4.3 restore on aix 5.3-03.

Big perf problems, I opened a call at IBM, i will let you know thier response when i get it.

I suspect it's the Atape driver .

Bsob

Some things to look at are the scsi adapters. Ultra 3 is much faster than Ultra 2, also your buffers can make a hung difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back