Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

<UL>'s and UI How to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbochar

IS-IT--Management
Mar 14, 2003
US
I've been using Coldfusion and the older version ASP -- I am trying to adapt a current site (as I know the content well) to C#/ASP.NET.. When it comes to all the Datagrid controls etc, things seem to work great.. but when I need to make dynamic controls or build menu's etc I am finding tough to sort out the logic to procede.

I can access the DB's and fill Datatsets and dump to datagrid's -- but I'd like to loop through the DB to create an HTML List.

Many have told me to stay away from things like document.write and looping through a DB to output HTML.

If you have a CSS Menu (thats in a <UL>) that is dynamically generated froma a DB call how do you go about it?

Part of me thinks thatere has to be and ASP <UL> replacement or do I make the code in a Label and dump it that way? <% %> code blocks with do while's to geenrate HTM code?

I am at the start if this and I dont want to take a messy first step.

<!-- Sidebar Navigation START -->
<DIV id="navigation1">
<UL>
<LI class="headingTop">Heading Text 1</li>
<LI><A HREF="#">ITEM 1</A></LI>
<LI><A HREF="#">ITEM 2</A></LI>
<LI><A HREF="#">ITEM 3</A></LI>
<LI><A HREF="#">ITEM 4</A></LI>
<LI class="headingTop">Heading Text 2</li>
<LI><A HREF="#">ITEM 1</A></LI>
<LI><A HREF="#">ITEM 2</A></LI>
<LI><A HREF="#">ITEM 3</A></LI>
<LI><A HREF="#">ITEM 4</A></LI>
</UL>
</DIV>

Normally I would just loop throug the DB and do response.write's with the <LI>'s.. What is the C# method that works the best? I dont need anything complicated just a starting point.. A simple loop embedded in an aspx page that would generate a <UL> list.

wbochar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back