Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

<br/> in XML

Status
Not open for further replies.

elihermans

Programmer
Jan 28, 2001
BE
Hi,
I got a problem with the formatting of my XML-document. I use an Access database and ASP to generate an XML-document, which I format with XSL. I generate <text></text> fields with the memo-field in access.

The problem is I can't make a break. When I just press the &quot;Return&quot;-button, the text is displayed without breaks. When I use the HTML-tags, <br> or <br/>, the tag is written in plain text. When I use the syntax for special characters (&amp;lt;br/&amp;gt;), it is displayed like this too.

Does anyone knows an answer to this question?

hi elihermans

You may try to include output directive to your XSL stylesheet
<xsl:eek:utput method=&quot;text&quot;/>

See also disable-output-escaping attribute of xsl:text
You may get desired result by combine this things, it depends of XML tools you are use.

Hope it will be helpful.

Best regards.
Avator

Try a double carriage return. (This is for text displayed inside a form field, correct?)

Just a thought,
Rosalie Dieteman
miros1@iwon.com

I c'ant be of much help but I am having the same kind of problem, if I include any HTML tags in the elements of my XML file they get outputted as plain text. I have posted a question on this. Do you have your <text> <text/> tags directly in the elements in your XML file and if so they are not displyaed as plain text ?

I've found the solluction on another forum, and thought it might be usefull here, it's quite simple, if you know it. I's usefull too, when you want to include not-well formed XML (such as javascript) in your page

<xsl:value-of disable-output-escaping=&quot;yes&quot; select=&quot;TEXT&quot;/>

or you can use xsl:copy-of instead of xsl:value-of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back