Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LSP - 8300E Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

trilogy8

Technical User
Jan 26, 2017
US
I've recently retired the last of my G650's and am left with just 2 G450's. Aside from my virtual duplex core CM I have had a physical ESS for this location due to the G650's. I don't have a virtual server environment where the ESS lives and I'd like to get rid of that if possible and replace with an 8300E. My current station capacity is right around 1000. Am I safe to do that? Will be moving to CM8 in the near future.

Yeah, you're fine I think

It's spec'd at 1000, I don't think it enforces the limits, it's just what it's tested against. If they're all SIP phone and busy, I'd be safe and get more compute/replace the ESS with a 1U with enough capacity for a bigger BSM and LSP, otherwise, the official limit is 1000.

When you say 1U, what server would that be? Unfortunately, I'm right at the 1000 mark but that will grow over time.

Nevermind, I see the product lines of servers. That kinda stinks.. was hoping to be able to stay within the 8300 and not have to purchase a new server.

If you have a good WAN you dont need any LSP/ESS. Just run the gateway connected to the core.

Personal Opinion - I would not install an S8300E. My suggestion is to install a VMware Appliance and install on top. The S8300E is a proprietary piece of hardware with very limited capacity/capability. You can get a Dell or HP 1U server and have much greater flexibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back