Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lsof error

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepallace

Technical User
Jun 8, 2004
US
Where can I get a current version of lsof that will run on an AIX 5.2? I'm getting a seemenation fault (core dump)error.

# /usr/sbin/lsof -i -n -P -FpTnP0
lsof: WARNING: compiled for AIX version 5.1.0.0; this is 5.2.0.0.
Segmentation fault(coredump)
#

Thanks in Advance,
RAQ

Hello,
that is a wrong version of lsof. On the AIX Toolbox CD you find the right version. You can update lsof with rpm -Uhv lsof ... and so on !!!

get from here:

ftp://lsof.itap.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/lsof/binaries/aix/5.2/power/

poor programming, after:
lsof: WARNING: compiled for AIX version 5.1.0.0; this is 5.2.0.0.
why a coredump ??

:) guggach

guggach,

I'd call it friendly programming. :)

Rather than simply quit because the version didn't match, it warns you (so you'll know why if it dies), then goes ahead and tries to run. In this instance, it turns out that there are changes from 5.1 to 5.2 that break it. In other instances this might not be the case, and the program would still run while reminding you that you should upgrade.

Whether it's poor or friendly programming depends on what the intention was, but I'm pretty sure I've seen an a version warning with an lsof/OS combination that worked anyway.

On topic comment: thanks for the pointer, ogniemi

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back