Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LSI Megaraid SAS 9250-4i : allow one disk to be visible by the os ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rlemoine

IS-IT--Management
Jun 6, 2016
FR
Hello,

In my server I have one RAID 1 and one Hotspare disk.

I would like to add another disk that would not be used in my RAID and be visible by the OS. Is there any option or must I use the connection of my motherboard ?

Thanks,
Rlemoine.

Two choices.....
Setup the drive as Raid 0, which forces you to have the raid driver installed or you do not see the drive; drive probably will not be recognized in another machine (emergency), unless attached to a compatible Perc adapter; with some software base raid adapters, raid 0 drives can be attached to a standard SATA interface and be seen, but it is rare.
Second choice attach the drive to the motherboard interface, in that case the drive can not use the dell back-plane, no driver needed, in emergency any newer motherboard should recognize it.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

Thanks for your reply,

I tryed what you say, actually the other tech in my company try it. He didn't want to plug the disk directly to the motherboard so he managed to get the raid 0 with the disk alone.

Thanks,
Rlemoine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back