Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LSI 1064 Controller and Poor Write Performance - Cross Post 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsp1965

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2003
CA
Folks I am cross posting this hoping someone checking who has experience with servers running LSI controllers under heavy loads;

We are running Windows 2003 and SQL Server 2005 on Sun Fire v20z server. We have been getting errors generated that are consistent with write cache.

I have read that the LSI logic controller provided on the Sun boxes (LSI 1064) has relatively poor write back cache performance. Apparently the write-back cache is NOT enabled on these controllers by design, since the controllers come without battery backup and this could lead to corruption.

Does anybody have any documentation regarding the performance of the LSI 1064 controller or links where I can find more info regarding performance issues. Thank you.

Regards

Terry

If this is simply an LSI 1064 without a companion IO Processor then it does not have a write cache or even the capability to have one. The 1064 is a SAS HBA chip with specialized FW to enable basic mirroring and striping. It is hardware RAID but its very primative hardware RAID.

Thanks scsiraid, that's what I thought. Time to go back to the customer and have them implement a more robust solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back