Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lsass.exe consumes all cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

techspl

MIS
Jan 23, 2002
TT
I have a server (also a domain controller) that is maxed out on CPU utilization. The LSASS.exe consumes most if not all of it. I ran a virus check but nothing was found. I demoted it but that did not work. I stopped all applications on the server and disabled all thier services but that did not work.
However, when I unplug the network cable the CPU utilization drops but then I cannot use the server. What I can do? What is causing this problem? Can anyone help?
Thanks

I don't have the sasser worm.
I ran antivirus scans with latest DAT file - no virus detected.
I ran the Micrsoft Remotal Tool for this sasser worm - non detected.
I checked the processes/registry/file but no indication that a worm is present.
The server does not reboot and there are no errors.

I thought it was a DC problem but when I demoted it to a member server the CPU still maxes out. I even added another DC but same problem.
Any other ideas?

Windows Local Security Authority Server Process handles Windows security mechanisms. It verifies the validity of user logons to your computer or server. Technically, the software generates the process that is responsible for authenticating users for the Winlogon service.

Read the this article on Microsoft's website and it should help out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back