Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LS2208 scanner programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhapp

Programmer
Apr 1, 2012
US
I am a newbie to this forum and to using the LS2208 USB.
One of my customers has a LS2208 but did not know what to do with it. I was able to get it working and programmed it so that it would issue a tab after each scan and they have started to use it for some simple inventory work.
I would like to program it to make it more user friendly for some more complicated jobs. I have the manual, and have installed 123Scan2.
The trouble that I am having is getting used to the language associated with scanners. I would like to see some examples of the scan codes used for various tasks.
Here is one of the tasks I would like to program:
Scan, Tab, Scan, Tab, Scan Enter.
It is easy to get the tab to result after every scan, but how do I get the Enter (Return) to occur?

Is it possible to generate a barcode that will force the cursor to move down and then back to the left?
I already have the appropriate font for generating barcodes out of the printer and they work.

Any help is appreciated.

I am not sure how or where you are trying to make this all occur.

Typically the barcode reader (a.k.a. 'scanner') is merely a pretty 'dumb' input device. It reads and decodes the barcodes and makes that data available to an application (e.g. inventory control, warehouse management system, ERP system, etc.) running on a computer.

Also, in general, this data input 'appears' to the application exactly the same as if a user had manually typed it in via a keyboard - despite it having entered the computer via an alternative means (e.g. USB port, keyboard wedge, etc.).

Then it would be up to the computer application to work with the data and anything else within the application such as cursor movement, etc.

This has nothing to do with the barcode reader (a.k.a. scanner) 'language', but instead it has to do with the code which the application is developed in.

If you have read the Programming Reference within the LS2208 Product Reference Guide

You can see what can and cannot be supported within the barcode reader itself.

Anything else should be addressed within the application.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

JRB,

Thank you for your quick response.
I understood all that you wrote, and perhaps a some point I will write an Access database to take the input and manipulate it. But that is not what my question is.
Assume that the scanner is attached and Excel is open.
Would it be possible to create a bar-code, that when scanned would move the cursor down one row?

Most readers terminate their barcode data bytes with some character so as to delineate one 'read' from another. It would be rare for it not to do so.

I guess that my own starting point would be to determine exactly what the reader DOES terminate the barcode read data transmission with. Then, by knowing that, I could most likely get things working from that point.

I have not studied the specific barcode reader manual to determine if you can have the barcode data terminated with a CRLF (carriage return & line feed - a.k.a. ENTER). I will leave that to you.

Or you can contact Symbol's Support team to ask.

As a last resort you can:
1. Read/Scan the barcode
2. Use workstation keyboard to finalize the entry with ENTER and move to next Excel cell.
3. Repeat as necessary

Not an ideal situation, but if you are in a hurry to get something done, it could work.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

I have spent a great deal of time trying to find some place to research this simple question but can't find a web site that is appropriate.

I joined tek-tips hoping someone here would have a suggestion.

I will repeat/clarify the question:
Assume the cursor is in cell A1 in Excel and there is no data in cell A1.
Is it possible to generate a bar-code that, when scanned, will not deliver any data to A1 but will move the cursor down to A2?

JRB suggested "Or you can contact Symbol's Support team to ask."
I have tried to find a website or email address for such a group but have been unsuccessful.

Thanks

I will say that the barcode reader/scanner is, by default, going to Read & Send the barcode data followed by a delimiter character (or two) to the recipient application - whether Excel or something else.

Is it possible to generate a barcode that will force the cursor to move down

From your original post you indicated
SCAN, Transmit Barcode data + added character(s) to move cursor

What you describe in your I will repeat/clarify the question is NOT what you originally indicated.

Is it possible to generate a bar-code that, when scanned, will not deliver any data to A1 but will move the cursor down to A2

That would be
SCAN, Transmit some character(s) to move the cursor and then what?? - maybe transmit the barcode data?

No matter the 'what' - The reader will NOT send nothing followed by a CRLF and then send the barcode data.

If you want that behavior, you will need to develop your own application to handle the data from the reader in the unique manner you describe.

However if you want to continue to search for other assistance...
From whom did you purchase the barcode reader?

In the past I have found many times that the vendor will have a support staff which can be very helpful.

Or you should be able to find support at:

or

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

If you have not already done so, see my last reply to
Command Keys via Barcode...
thread694-1666121

Since in that posting you say that you think that you are looking for the same information, then my reply there would apply to you as well.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Another thought...

If you were going to print barcodes to act as 'keystrokes' as you suggest might work for you in the other posting:
Command Keys via Barcode...
thread694-1666121: Command Keys via Barcode...

you will probably want to keep those barcodes totally separate from the 'REAL' barcodes that you want to read.

Generally an individual would read the 'ENTER' barcode to move your user's cursor, and then separately read the 'REAL' barcode containing the desired information so that info could enter the desired Excel cell.

I guess that it MIGHT work to combine the 'keystroke' barcode into a single barcode with the 'REAL' data - you would have to test if this worked to meet your needs.

But if there was ever a situation where you did NOT want the 'keystroke' barcode to be included, having them printed into one single barcode would prevent you from separating the 'REAL' data out.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back