Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lpar reverse

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkc924

MIS
Aug 5, 2002
US
Hi all,

Have a p670 that was configured with lpars. Now we want to change it to a full system partition with all resources assigned. Does anyone know the steps necessary to accomplish this?

Thanks,
Judy

Hi Judy!

If you do not want to keep the information of actual LPAR-s, your way is simple:

Deactivate all LPARs, using shutdown command, or just right-click/deactivate on HMC.

Now you will have the "Full system partition" changed from "unavailable" to "available". You can simply activate it.

If not, you should back up your current HMC config, then delete all partitions.

Even though, do you have any reason not to use DLPAR functionality? Even with only one DLPAR using all te resources, but having the ability to crop dovn some of it and run another OS image, for test reasons or anything else. Doing it without even shutting down your main LPAR.

--Trifo

Hi Judy, again!

I have to confess, I was wrong in my previous post.

To activate "Full system partition" on yout machine, you have to right-click on in in HMC server management page and select "Power off".
When it is done, delect "Power on", and you will get a window asking the power-on mode. Choose "full system partition" and that's all.

So you do not have to delete your partitions to start the machine as full system partition!

--Trifo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back