Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LPAR disk issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

normntwrk

MIS
Aug 12, 2002
US
We are real new at anything to do with LPARS. We have a 520 that we are using to learn on. I purchased the CoD activation key and installed that . I was finally able to load the VIO software after deleting the partition that had AIX on it . I created a new partiton but the only way I can see the disk drives so that I can load AIX on that partition is to shut down the VIO server. With the new partition running I can't start the VIO server as the disks don't show up (actually nothing shows up at all when I look for bootable devices) VIO is loaded on hdisk1 and AIX partiton is loaded on hdisk0.

I did create a virtual SCSI adapter in the VIO and ran the command mkvdev -f -vdev hdisk0 -vadapter vhost0 and that completed OK but it doesn't show up as a vdisk that I can boot from when I fire up the AIX partition

Any idea what I am doing wrong
Thanks
Norm

You are doing it wrong.

The disk are part of Controller (few hdisks and a CDROM), you can dedicate the Controller it one System and cannot be seen on multiple server.

Ok,
Here is what you do, bring up the VIO on hdisk0
Create a VG (name it what ever you want - but a relevant name) on hdisk1
# mkvg -s 256 -y <vgname> hdisk1
size of each PP is 256mb, so 1 Gb will have 4 PPs.
Now create a lv on that newly created VG.

# mklv -t jfs2 -y <lvname> <vgname> <no of PP>
Ex: mklv -t jfs2 -y client_rootvg clientvg 120 --> 120=30GB

I assume you know how to create a virtual scsi adapter, create the adapter on client LPAR and VIO.

Once you create the adapters on both (client LPAR and VIO)

run the below on VIO server as padmin
$ lsdev -slots --> this will list you all vhost

$cfgdev --> This will determine the vhost

$mkvdev -vdev <lvname> -vadapter vhostX -dev <backing devicename>
Ex: mkvdev -vdev client_rootvg -vadapter vhost0 -dev rootvg_01

Now check if that is available

$ lsmap -all

Now, you can install the image on the client (LPAR).

Note: You can change the size of lv as per your company standard, but make sure it is not exceeding the total size of VG.

Hope this helps.

SARFARAZ AHMED SYED,
Sr. Systems Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back