Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lp print service isnt running or cant be reached....help please 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbay

Technical User
Feb 24, 2000
US
Visit site
hello...trying to print but getting this message...'lp print service isnt running or cant be reached...' how do i resolve this and get the printer back on line and in service and printing again...i miss the sound of dot matrix at work...also everything seems to be slow from input to output....i'm running on a unix v sys...one application on the system?...thank you for your time and help my friend...james<br>
<p>james bay<br><a href=mailto:rgscom@aol.com>rgscom@aol.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>please bare with me with regard to my questions...i'm trying to comprehend the vast concepts as they apply to computers in general and at times forget the KISS philosophy and i do so appreciate your insights/step by step guidance and overall your generosi

To check the print service status, you can run &quot;<FONT FACE=monospace>lpstat -r</font>&quot;. This should reply with either &quot;scheduler is running&quot;, or &quot;scheduler is not running&quot;. I guess you're going to see the second message from what you're saying...<br>
<br>
So, to get it started again, login as &quot;root&quot; and run the command &quot;<FONT FACE=monospace>/usr/lib/lpsched</font>&quot;. This should produce a message saying &quot;Print service started&quot;. If it doesn't, then you should get an error message saying why not. If you don't get an error message, check the mail for &quot;root&quot;, because it may have been mailed instead.<br>
<br>
(BTW, if you ever need to manually stop the print service, the command &quot;<FONT FACE=monospace>/usr/lib/lpshut</font>&quot; will do that. &quot;<FONT FACE=monospace>disable printername</font>&quot; will stop the named printer, and &quot;<FONT FACE=monospace>enable printername</font>&quot; will start it again. &quot;<FONT FACE=monospace>lpstat</font>&quot; takes various options to show the status of the lp service. Use &quot;<FONT FACE=monospace>-t</font>&quot; to get a full listing of the print service.)<br>
<br>
Hope this helps.

AndyBo...mahalos a plenty for your generosity and help with everything...i truly appreciate it...if you could would you email me at <A HREF="mailto:rgscom@aol.com">rgscom@aol.com</A> or at <A HREF="mailto:jbayonne@hawaii.rr.com">jbayonne@hawaii.rr.com</A> ...james...thanks again! <p>james bay<br><a href=mailto:rgscom@aol.com>rgscom@aol.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>please bare with me with regard to my questions...i'm trying to comprehend the vast concepts as they apply to computers in general and at times forget the KISS philosophy and i do so appreciate your insights/step by step guidance and overall your generosi

I'll e-mail you later, James, when I get home. Unfortunately I can't e-mail you from work, because it would probably be seen as &quot;personal use&quot;, and I'd probably be shot at dawn, torn into quarters, and then fed to the seagulls. (At least, I think that's what the acceptable usage policy lays down as a standard penalty. Something along those lines, anyway :( )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back