Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low watt computer, how to find them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

InZomnia

Programmer
Dec 29, 2005
My current PC uses 450W!

I'm looking for a small computer to mess with (playing with linux and stuff), maybe a seconds hand.

But they never write how much Watt they use, how do i find a computer that doesn't use anything. I was told that an old imac G4 only use 45W. But in generel how do i find a computer that barely use andy power??

Hope someone can help me, I'm already using around 2 USD per day in energy juston my PC, and it all adds up. :)

You will want one with:
an LCD display. Look for a second hand 15" say for best economy.
The fewer hard drives the better.
On board graphics.
Then look at energy star ratings. You want the Bios to be able to power things down when not in use.

Gavin

Laptops that say "Centrino" all use under 35watts.
Desktop wise...there are many newer energy saving CPU's to base a new system build on.
Or go for a mobile processor that underclocks when idling or carry out mundane tasks.
Or perhaps see if you can find one of those 'all in one' micro ATX motherboards with passive cooling based on the Via C7 see:

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Take a look at a mini-ITX board ( VIA have been making them for a while and they chew as little as 27 Watts (depending on what you have connected). I played around with one of these and installed Linux on it. Ran really well with no problems.

You could go smaller again (Nano or Pico ITX), however you will probably run into problems getting a case, unless you want to make your own. If you Google mini ITX cases, you should find lots of companies that stock cases.

One thing to consider is what the use of your computer is for. If you are just doing basic Desktop computing and playing simple games, then you'll be ok. If you are doing anything really CPU-intensive and want to multi-task at the same time, then you'll probably find the VIA CPU won't cut it.

In a Word, Laptop.

Laptops have lower power processors, small LCD Screens, Integrated Graphics, slower spinning hard drives. So that would also be what you want to look for in a Desktop.

Intel keeps thermal and technical specifications on all of its processors.

Keep in mind that mobile and smaller power saving hardware often costs more and does not perform as well.

Might browse this website:

1.5 Gig Via Motherboard. This looks pretty cheap, but I have never purchased anything here:

If you can find a used Computer with Celeron or PIII with Tulatin Core, that will run as fast as a low-end P4. I run XP on my Asus TUSL2-C Motherboard with 1.2 gig Celeron. The Tulatin Core Celerons had 256k L2 Cache.

Or you could just find something new like a E1200 Core 2 Duo Celeron and give up.

Probably lots of used computers out there on E-bay or sitting in someone's garge or basement. If you have a local custom computer shop sometimes they sell used stuff that people trade in or something like that.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Look at the new AMD 4800e Processor + 780G chipset set up. Powerful but low power consumption (compared to normal pcs)
add a Green Power drive to it and your looking a good spec system, with relativley low consumtion. For a lot less than the equavilant Laptop.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back