Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

low voltage licensing by state

Status
Not open for further replies.

daronwilson

Vendor
Mar 24, 2002
US
I've got a pretty good idea about licensing in a few western states, but are there some states that do not require an electrical license of some sort for voice and data cabling? I'm not talking contractors license, but just for a guy to do that type of work.

thanks,

Daron

Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

Good question---I mentioned before in another thread, that in California you are required to get a C7 license, but it pertains to someone who is starting their own business.

If I have a C7 license--any worker under my guidance is qualified and I am responsible for them knowing what I know or for doing what I can do. I believe each worker should get licensed for their craft/skills and keep business and trade seperate.

Does that make sense?

Most of it makes no sense. In oregon, if you are working on commerical property or in someones home, you are required to get a contractors license which is a mini test on the laws, a bond and liability insurance. That just gets you the right to do the work there. Now, if you are plumbing, electrical, landscape, mechanical, etc. you need to have the appropriate license from the state for that area of work. I work for a large electrical firm, they are an electrical contractor with the state, but everyone working here in the field also must have the appropriate electrical license.

I'm just curious if there are states that don't require an electrical license to do telephone and data cabling.

Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

In Oregon, if you work as an individual or small business (in the electrical trade, including low voltage)you need a business license, a construction contractors board license (requiring bonding and insurance), an electrical contractors license and an electricians license (in my case Limited Energy A).

It's my belief that whether you are a business or a person just running a cable, a permit is required from the county or state you are working in. To obtain a permit, you usually have to be licensed.

We all need a little help once in awhile. Tony the Phoneman..

I'm an interconnect in Massachusetts, and in this state you do not need to be licensed to install voice & data cabling. The only low-voltage licensing is for security system installers.
On the other hand, most every city & town requires the contractor to pull a building/wiring permit for every job, no matter how small, and an inspection is required.

Interesting how different States, Counties, and Cities handle the same thing differently.

Kentucky itself does not require permits, license, test, fees etc to do low volt wiring but you do need a sales & use tax/general business license to operate as a business and to be exempt on purchases for resale as well as collect sales taxes. Most counties, cities and towns (with exception of some high brow developments) don't require it either. I did work for the contractor's licensing board in Bowling Green and asked him flat out what the requirements were and there were none, zilch.

Recommendation though even if there are none obvious - the National Electrical Code (2005 is the current version) done by the NFPA has regulations for low voltage, communications, etc that affect the entire United States. Get at least the section pertaining to low voltage and uise it as your guide. If you find later that a locality has their own laws they can only expand on the NEC, not lessen it as a lower government cannot preclude or reduce a higher government's ruling. Anyway with that said a quick trip on the web to your secretary of state's office might help as they are usually the licensing dept for your state to include electrician's licenses. I believe the general rule is that anything that has over 45 volts is considered requirement for an electrician's license. One thing to also note that even though there may be a local requirement for inspection, a homeowner is generally free to do his/her own work, within regulations and requirements. I have done all of my own service equipment, new and replacement wiring. Passed every time that an inspection was required. Care and patience are your best tools as well - always do a customer's job as good, if not better, than you would do your own job and do it for looks, functionality and safety - reputation will follow. I always put an installation label on the main interchange to both do a signature of sorts, and essentially leave a business card of sorts behind. I've gotten many return calls due to those labels on things I've repaired and cabling installations. I use a tyvek or plastic based label with laser printing and a permanent adhesive - keeps competitors and age from removing the stickers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back