Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low virtual memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

nataraj48

Technical User
Mar 29, 2002
US
I get a message on my PC that it is low on virtual memory when I am on the internet and that some apllications will be denied access. I have a 5 year old PC which has 64MB RAM and I was advised to increase it to 128MB RAM to make it work better. I wish to add that I upgraded my OS from Windows 98SE to Windows XP recently. I have the low virtual memory issue since upgrading. Is there a simple solution without having to invest in a new CPU? I was told that I would have to replace the memory chip on the motherboard in the PC? Is it something I could do myself after purchasing the component from Fry's Electronics? A simple and economic solution would be appreciated very much.

XP with 64m! I'm surprised you even got this far. Virtual memory uses part of your real memory. Since XP alone needs 64m, (and Internet Explorer 6 needs 64m, I'm sure you can see the problem. Look to see what type of memory you now have (or just pull the stick that is in there), and go down to Fry's and get another stick just like it (they will know what to give you). 128m is the bare minimum to use XP. 256 smoothes it out, and 512m makes XP a lot faster. Be sure to "ground" yourself (touch a bare part of the chassis) before you touch the memory stick. Look carefully at how the memory is held in. Some motherboards have retaining clips that you have to carefully hold back while you remove the stick, others have "fold down" levers at the ends of the stick. Note which way the stick is inserted in the slot, there is/are notch(es) on the bottom, so they only go one way. Again, ground yourself before inserting the new sticks. Until you get used to replacing memory, I would get a knowledgeable person to help. I've replaced motherboards for people who weren't careful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back