Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low Virtual Memory Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZEason

Programmer
Dec 11, 2000
US
I have an app that uses 2 Access DB. One DB is on a CD with 600k records (325mb), one table. The scecond DB is on the harddrive and the main table is link to the CD drive. It needs to be this way because there are about 50 different CD with like tables, just different data. My app lets the user seach the records on the HD through the link. After one or 2 searched I get an error that my Virtual Memory is Low. I must shut down and reboot. Is there a better way to do this? How can I solve this memory problem? What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Virtual Memory is just a page file or a swap file on your hard drive that is essentially treated as if it were RAM.

If I'm not mistaken, the VM setup is a little different between Windows versions. The earlier releases use a specified drive for VM. In that case, you basically run out of VM when you run out of space on the specified drive. In newer releases of Windows, you specify the drive used for VM along with the size constraints to be used for the page file. In that case, you run out of VM when your page file hits its maximum allowed size.

If you're getting a message stating that VM is low, check to see how much space is on your local drive. If you're almost out when you get the message, you need to free up space. If you have plenty of space when you get the message, check the size of the page file with its size restrictions and proceed accordingly. If both look ok, bring it to the attention of your IT guys. It's best to let them deal with it.

Of course, always check with your IT guys before doing such things. We, the IT department I'm in, don't like our users doing these types of things without first talking with us, and your IT guys probably feel the same way.

Good luck. --
Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back