Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

low system resources after deleting files in Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

1MT

Technical User
Sep 4, 2002
US
Hi,

I am encountering a problem with Win98 and low system resources. At first it started as just a major annoyance. I would boot the computer and after a few hours my system resources would be down to 6 from 89 iniitially and I would have to reboot. I could not find out what was causing it, so I installed the system resource meter expecting a program memory leak

Well, here is what I found. When I delete large files from my hard drive it depletes my system resources and does not return them. And it takes a huge chunk (resources went from 66% to 20%). I am positive this has been my problem the whole time. But now that I have found that out, my question is what to do about it?

Currently I have windows running on a 120 gig WD and I have 29 gigs free. I am letting windows manage my memory settings. I have 512 DDR RAM w/ AMD Athlon 1.6 XP processor.

I am going to go up to XP, but I have the full version of the home edition and I don't know how to perform an upgrade with it. This 120 gig drive will be a slave (storage) to a 40 gig fresh XP install.

Another question is this, if I leave the 120 as is and have the 40 gig with XP control deleting ect...will that fix this resource problem when deleting files?

Any help anyone can give me with this baffling problem will be much appreciated.

Thank You
1MT

Having 512MB of RAM under Win98 might be part of the problem. Vcache isn't very effective under the Win9x/ME kernel. If you have 2 - 256MB memory modules, remove one to take your total memory size down to 256MB and see if the problem still occurs.

If that's not an option, then upgrading to XP will probably be the best answer. A fresh install is definitely the way to go...

Read this FAQ for more info on VCACHE:

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Lets deal with the low resources 1st .
This is overkill I know , some information may not be relevant , but for those that are reading this question & learning rather than answering , they may get something out of these extra sites .

Windows Resources vs. Memory

-----------------------------------

More Resource Leak-Tweaks .

----------------------------------

--------------------------------------

-------------------------------

System Resources .
GDI and User Resources explained .

Free up Conventional Memory .